Rapper Lil Wayne has been hospitalised after he found unconscious in his Chicago hotel room. It is understood that the 34-year-old had suffered at least one epileptic seizure. His concert in Las Vegas night (September 3) was subsequently cancelled.
TMZ reports that Wayne was taken to Northwestern Memorial hospital where he suffered another seizure. Doctors have advised against discharging the rapper and have ordered him to rest for several days. They fear that flying may trigger more seizures.
Wayne has suffered from epilepsy for a number of years and had to cancel a show in Las Vegas last year because of the condition.
Speaking to radio station Power 106 in 2013, Wayne said of his epilepsy: “The bad news is I’m an epileptic, I’m prone to seizures, going on to explain the bout of fits wasn’t his first.
“Like, this isn’t my first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh seizure. I’ve had a bunch of seizures, y’all just never hear about them. But this time it got real bad ’cause I had three of them in a row and on the third one, my heart rate went down to like 30 per cent. Basically, I could’ve died, so that is why it was so serious. But the reason being for the seizures is just plain stress, no rest, overworking myself.”
He added that the frequent seizures meant that his team knew how to deal with them: “They already know how to handle it. Certain times I don’t even go to the hospital, but this time, it was real bad because, like I said, it was three in a row, and I’ve never had three back to back like that.”