A new poll has found that 'Human' by The Killers contains the lyrics that baffle UK music fans the most, with The Beatles, Michael Jackson and more also ranking highly.
The study was conducted by blinkbox music, asked 2000 Brits about whether they understood the meaning of songs. They found that 65% struggle to understand the meaning of lyrics in today’s UK charts, with 'Human' by The Killers still continuing to confuse with over 30% of listeners failing to understand the lyric 'Are we human, or are we dancer?'.
"Brandon Flowers of The Killers has admitted that the line is taken from a Hunter S. Thompson quote: ‘We’re raising a nation of dancers,’" said Professor of Popular Music at Glasgow University Martin Cloonan. "Flowers said: ‘I say that it’s a mild social statement, and that’s all I’m gonna say.”"
The top 10 most confusing lyrics are:
1. ‘Are we human, or are we dancer?’ – The Killers, Human
2. ‘I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus, goo goo g’joob’ – The Beatles, I Am The Walrus
3. ‘What about elephants? Have we lost their trust?’- Michael Jackson, Earth Song
4. ‘Tom bol li de se de moi ya, hey jambo jumbo’ - Lionel Richie, All Night Long
5. ‘Before you came into my life, I missed you so bad’ - Carly Rae Jepson, Call Me Maybe
6. ‘Beats so big I'm stepping on leprechauns’ - Black Eyed Peas, Boom Boom Pow
7. ‘The reflex is an only child, he's waiting in the park’ - Duran Duran, The Reflex
8. ‘Club Tropicana, drinks are free, fun and sunshine, there's enough for everyone, all that's missing is the sea’ - Wham!, Club Tropicana
9. ‘Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter, and my daddy said stay away from Juliet.’ – Taylor Swift, Love Story
10. ‘Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball’- Oasis, Champagne Supernova
Meanwhile, The Killers are playing a handful of UK gigs this month - inlcuding headlining V Festival. For more information visit Gigwise Tickets.
To be in with a chance of winning VIP tickets to V Festival, visit here.
Below: The ten most confusing song lyrics, explained by a professor