One dead, 15 hospitalised after September night
Michael Baggs

09:33 3rd October 2013

More about:

Organisers of Manchester's Warehouse project have discussed the safety of their hugely popular club nights, after one man died and another 15 were hospitalised in drug incidents during their 28 September 2013 event.

A 30-year-old man died after swallowing what is believed to have been a contaminated batch of ecstasy, and organisers later stated that they were 'devastated' by his death. Now, in a press conference held this week, they revealed how they had considered bringing the event to an end.

"We considered it. We spoke at length about it," said Sacha Lord Marchionne during the conference. "We have about 5,000 customers and if it isn’t happening they are not going to stay in, they are going to go elsewhere."

"Ninety nine per cent of other places don’t have private police on the door, drug sniffer dogs and don’t search everyone or have paramedics on site," he added. "My argument is this is a safer environment for customers to be in than the majority of other places."

It was also announced that better ventilation would be installed in the venue, as many club-goers blamed the 'unbearable' heat on the deaths.

Watch the full press conference below

Police are now investigating the death, with Detective Inspector Aaron Duggan saying, following the death. "It is possible that there may be a particularly bad batch of drugs out there in the community and that is a concern to us."

The Warehouse Project then issued a statement speaking of their 'devastation' and stressing their 'zero tolerance' policy towards drugs.

"The Warehouse Project are sad to announce that a 30-year-old man that attended the club last night has died this morning, Saturday 28th September, after ingesting contaminated drugs.," said Sacha Lord-Marchionne, Director, The Warehouse Project. "After collapsing, he was taken into medical care onsite immediately and onto the Manchester Royal Infirmary. However, unfortunately he died shortly before 4.30am. Authorities advised that no further action could have prevented the circumstances.

"The Warehouse Project are assisting the police with their ongoing enquiries surrounding the circumstances of the man’s death. They have suggested that there may have been a bad batch of ecstasy in circulation as others who attended last nights event are also unwell. While these people are in no danger, some are still being treated. The Warehouse Project operate a zero tolerance drugs policy and have strict measures in place to avoid any entering the premises. They are deeply saddened about the incident, and send their thoughts out to family and friends."

More about: