Sony have confirmed that a third-party has tried to hack into 93,000 active accounts using a "compromised list" that came from outside the company.
In a statement released to the media earlier today (Oct 12), the firm said that "a large amount of unauthorised sign-in attempts" had been made across its networks, including the PlayStation Network.
The Sont Entertainment Network and Sony Online Entertainment have also been affected.
The statement added: "Credit card numbers associated with these accounts are not at risk as a result of these unauthorised attempts.
"Only a small fraction of these 93,000 accounts showed additional activity prior to being locked. We are continuing to investigate the extent of unauthorised activity on any of these accounts."
Sony also said that the information has been taken from: "a large amount of data obtained from one or more compromised lists from other companies, sites or other sources."
The company added that this is a result of the data being tested included pairs of usernames and passwords, and that "an overwhelming majority" of attempts to access accounts had failed.
However, all affected customers will be asked to reset their passwords.
The PlayStation Network had to be taken down in April as a result of hacker activity, with Sony executive Tim Schaff recently desribing the incident as "a great learning experience", adding "I would not like to do it again."
The PlayStation Network remains live.
Forty years of games consoles...